Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

I am a crochet Minion :)

Early in October, my co-worker told me her daughter wanted them to all dress up as Minions from the movie Despicable Me (and Despicable Me 2).  I told her to look on Pinterest for all the cool ideas.  As we were browsing, I mentioned I could totally make the crochet hats we seen.  So I was "hired" to do the job (hired as in I only charge for materials--hey I am already just sitting there watching tv, might as well be crocheting something :D then she surprised me with a Starbucks gift card and lunch--woo hoo!).

I made 2 children's hats with detachable goggles (patterns are linked).  I only use the goggles pattern as a guide though.  I actually used pipecleaners as the base of the eye part to make it a bit sturdier.  Also, I used elastic in the back so that they would be a little less prone to fall off their heads.


They looked exactly the same--so I won't post them both :)

Then I made this adult hat with arms for my co-worker.  When I showed my son the pattern, he told me that I would not be able to do it--Challenged Accepted (totally got that phrase from How I Met Your Mother).  In the end she opted to not have the mouth, but still wanted the arms.


Then I made a men's hat and small teen hat out of the same pattern.  I used a combination of patterns to put this one together.


And finally, I made a slouchy hats for the teen.  I used a pattern I found via Ravelry.  


Edited to add:  But then she wanted it a bit more slouchier and the eyes connected, so I changed the above to this


My co-worker wanted me to make the eyes to be "rolled" eyes like most teens do on a daily basis :)

All the "hair" is made from black pipecleaners.  I could have used yarn, but my co-worker gave me this better alternative idea.

They were a hit!  They got compliments all night and both of the kids teachers wanted one.  Since I had extra yellow yarn, I made her two more hats for the teachers :D  (A total of 8 minion hats!--that is more than 1/2 the kids that came to my house for candy this year--ha ha ha...we got 13 trick-or-treaters.)

I have only watched the first movie...maybe when I am not tired of looking at minions anymore I will watch the second movie :)

8 comments:

  1. so cute! Love the hats and boy oh boy you were busy!!!
    when I retire I am going to hire you to teach me how to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's soooo cute, Linda! Oh my gosh. Had I known, I would have for-real hired you to make one for my nephew 'coz that was the theme for his birthday recently!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. I would have totally made one. I'm actually cheap because I enjoy crocheting and making people happy :)

      Delete
  3. OMG those are so cute!
    You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! You should totally sell those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! too much competition out there though :D

      Delete